Cars are motor vehicles (excluding motorcycles and similar vehicles) that carry loads less than one ton and less than nine passengers. This definition includes many four-wheel drives. Hence, Motorcycles, Scooters are not vehicles. Here are some information to maximize tax return as Uber eat driver.
Should I get a scooter instead of a car for the uber eat delivery service? If you’d rather be comfortable then a car may be the better option, but if you’d like to save some gas then a scooter is the better choice. Please read on to ensure you’re doing it right to maximize your tax refund for the Scooter running expenses.
Maximizing Tax Refund for Scooter Running Expenses
It is essential to note that you can not use the cents per km or the logbook method to claim it; you must use the actual expense.
Keep all your running expenses; it is essential to note that you must keep records of all your costs, such as fuel. In addition, it is crucial to show how you compute the work travel as a percentage of your total journey.
While keeping a logbook is not required, it is the easiest way to show how you have calculated your work-related use of the vehicle.
You can’t claim your deduction for other vehicles or someone else’s car under work-related car expenses in your tax return.
Claim your deduction for these vehicles as a work-related travel expense.
It is important to note that you can not claim the cost of travel between your home and your regular workplace. That would be private.
Your regular place of work is the usual place where you start and finish your work duties. You incur these expenses to put you in the position to earn your income. This is private travel even if you either live a long way from your regular place of work or work outside regular business hours.
If you are a UBER Eat Delivery Driver, Menulog Delivery Driver or Delivery Driver for food retails.
When can you claim a deduction?
You can claim a deduction for work-related car expenses if you use your car to:
- Doing your work duties – for example, if you travel from your regular place of work to meet with a customer.
- Go to work-related conferences or meetings away from your regular place of work.
- Deliver items or collect supplies
- Go between 2 or more separate places of employment, but not if one of the places in your home – for example, when you have more than one job.
- Go from your regular place of work to another area of work (that isn’t a common place of employment) and back to your usual place of work or home.
- Go from your regular place of work or your home to an alternative area of work that is not a common place of work – for example, a client’s premises.
If you don’t own your Scooter or your car, you only can claim the actual expense of running the vehicle or the Scooter. You can not use the cents per KM or the logbook method.
As the leading professional CPA accounting firm in Inner West Sydney Ashfield, Belrose Northern Beaches and Adelaide, South Australia, we are in a position to help you to maximize tax return as Uber eat driver.